Sunday, March 24, 2013

i watched gypsy: a musical fable


Just watched the most amazing musical in my life, so much so that I'm composing this post straight after watching the show. It was Gypsy: A Musical Fable performed by Lasalle College of the Arts.

I initially went for the show with a totally different intention, but hehe I really did not regret going for this show at all, it's totally worth more than the mere $11 I paid for the ticket. I mean seriously, the effort that went into this production is worth so much more than that. I am in such a fanboy mode now that I don't know where to start. The costumes, the sets, the live ensemble, the light designs, and the amazing cast with those powerful voices and dance routines. I admit. I think dancers are really sexy and suave. And if you add acting and singing to your bucket of talents, I'm in love with you. Oh and it's a Sondheim musical (kind of, he wrote the lyrics for Gypsy), the first musical I ever watched was Into The Woods, and I loved it, even till now. So another Sondheim musical made it all the more exciting to watch!

Before the show started we were greeted with triangles with brick tiles plastered on them with posters stuck all over. I was like meh, such boring sets. Plus it was a live musical...the previous musical I watched live was Once when I was in Broadway, New York, and I fell asleep (I'm sorry I was suffering from jet lag), so I was scared that history might repeat itself, considering I was rushing my portfolio the entire day today. But woah three hours just went past without me even realizing, and the revolving triangles were a sweet touch to the entire theatrics of the musical.

Each scene was so entertaining, bringing the audience on a roller coaster of emotions, from rolling in our seats in laughter to being all sappy and emotional. 

Gypsy is based largely on the memoirs of Gypsy Rose Lee, the famous striptease artist. It revolves around her mother, Rose, the ultimate show business mother (think 881's Lian Yi haha if that helps) and her dreams and efforts to groom her daughters into stars. 

I loved the portrayal of Mama Rose by Vanessa Powell. From bubbly energetic to emotional and slightly craycray, and those vocal chords of hers. Her singing was as varied as her acting, with each rendition of each song perfectly capturing the emotions of each scene. But seriously, is there a need to make out with Herbie in almost every scene haha. But I guess it's written in the script, very convincing and professional acting I must say.

Another powerful performance was by Emma Etherington as Louise/Gypsy. Her switch from innocent banal Louise to imastripperbitch Gypsy Rose Lee was convincing and wonderfully built up. Who says strippers have to be all lean bag of bones, as the busty top heavy actress proves us wrong. I especially loved her performance of 'Little Lamb'; a mixture of tears and mucus, hitting extremely high notes, long sustained belting, and little animals really brought out the lovable nature of Louise, which was in stark contrast to Gypsy later on. Her performance was well deserving of the thunderous applause from the audience!

And amongst the sea of angmoh cast, Singaporean Renfred Ng (I was wondering why he looked so familiar, he was one of the final few contestants from the previous season of Campus Superstar) as Tulsa really stood out for me too. Not because of his cute guy-next-door get up, and definitely not because of his acting or singing (I'm sorry haha, he's really really talented but sigh pales in comparison to his angmoh peers. Dayum angmohs are somehow always better than us Asians) but because of his amazing dance moves. He's got hips that make a woman jealous (a tad bit too much of ass shaking though haha), and the tap dancing routine in 'All I Need Is The Girl' can win a girl over anytime and anywhere. Sigh, he can dance, sing, and act, plus he's blessed with good looks. Not fair.

It was a really amazing show, I apologize for my limited vocabulary but I have never watched anything as amazing as this. The wonderfully directed stage directions and transitions, the little nuances in the acting and singing, the colorful over-the-top costumes (Seriously a jewel encrusted g-string and bras and panties that light up, way cool. Everyone should own undergarments that light up, provides extra entertainment hehe~) and I am so going to be judged after saying this but I loved the Burlesque scenes. Disco balls and Garden of Eden themed strip show with the male actors prancing about nearly naked in small tiny briefs with artistically placed leaves and the ladies retrieving apples from their bosoms, wow really turned the temperature up in the theatre. 

I really did enjoy Gypsy very much, undoubtedly the best musical I've ever watched (sorry, I'm that unexposed to great musicals, someone sponsor my tickets now please). Considering how this is a performance by university graduands and undergraduates who are merely a few years older than I am, they are so so talented and professional albeit unmatchable in the lights of American Broadway. But still...really great job to the team at Lasalle!

Have never done a theatre review before, but the show was so good I had to write about it, so pardon my amateur writing. It does not do the musical justice at all. And here's some behind the scenes from the musical~


Sigh, it's already Sunday by the time I'm done with this post. Oh well enjoy your Sunday and have a great week ahead! Here's a drawing I did yesterday, rock on~

No comments:

Post a Comment